Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cheese - Not just for crackers

I'm always looking for recipes that utilize cheese in a creative way. We try to eat seasonally so I particularly enjoy recipes that make use of seasonal ingredients. Earlier this week I made a stuffed pasta, incorporating fresh ricotta and some Parmigiano-Reggiano. It also called for Swiss chard and sweet peas, however since peas aren't very seasonal right now I opted for fresh, local leeks in place of the peas and a tomato sauce made with diced tomatoes with fresh basil, oregano and garlic, puréed to make a simple, fresh sauce, instead of the heavier more calorie heavy fontina cheese sauce originally paired with the pasta.
Since it is the holiday season and, for me at least, baking is a part of that season, I have been on the look out for a special, holiday-ish treat to make, in addition to our favorite chèvre truffles and goat milk fudge. When I saw this recipe I new this was what I'd been looking for. The recipe was originally featured in Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, and was from Moira Sommers, Co-Owner/Chef of 3 Sisters Cafe in Indianapolis, IN - Blueberry Goat Cheese Pie.

We won't cut into it until tomorrow but looks wise it was a complete success!

No comments:

Post a Comment